Department of Korean LanguageThe Korean department helps students gain the ability to use the Korean language more effectively, gain diachronic knowledge of the mother tongue, and to appreciate Korean literature in depth.
The major areas to be strengthened are:
1) understanding and critical thinking through speaking and writing activities;
2) correct usage of the Korean language;
3) an in-depth systematic consideration of the world of Korean literature and analysis of the works at hand, which will lead one to a more profound comprehension of the human linguistic and literary paradigm.
Korean Language, Korean Grammar, Korean Literature, Critical Reading, Writing, Research, Study of Dasan, Chinese Character, Korean Drama etc
Department of MathematicsPeople who made great achievements in the field of Mathematics generalize objects or phenomena in a rather abstract sense, trying to look at the big picture. Therefore, it is important to stress the importance of the process of thinking rather than the results, and try to understand the creative ideas behind theories in math. This way of studying helps to develop mathematical creativity as well as problem solving skills. >
|Event||National Middle School Math Competition|
|Time||The second Saturday of every June|
|Target||Any student enrolling in 9th grade|
|General Selection||Advanced Selection||AP Course||College Courses|
Calculus and Statistics,
Geometry and Vectors,
Integrals and Statistics
Math Project Study
Advanced Discreet Mathematics
Department of Foreign Languages
|Improvement in command of
|Establishment of high level lectures|
|Improvement of vocabulary through vocabulary homework and evaluation|
|Cultivation of Speaking,
|Fostering of knowledge in literature, reading, and improvement of vocabulary|
|Reading and critical evaluation of 40 selections from the required reading list.|
To help foster a truly global perspective, classes in French, Spanish, and Chinese are also offered.
|Events and Groups||Period||Subject||Note|
|Minjok Herald||Quarterly||English Newspaper|
|English Speech Contest||May~Jun||The entire school|
|Nationwide Middle School Debate Competition||Jun~Jul||Middle School studentsfrom
around the country
English Reading Comprehension and Composition, English Reading, English Reading I, English Reading II, English Prose, English Prose I, English Prose II, English Grammar, English Grammar I, English Grammar II, English Conversation, English Conversation I, English Conversation II, English Composition, English Composition I, English Composition II, Current English, Current English I, Current English II, Introduction to English Literature, English Literature, English Literature I, English Literature II, American Literature, British Literature, World Literature, Contemporary English Literature, Contemporary English Literature I, English Debate, AP English Language, AP English Literature
French, French I, French II, French Reading Comprehension, French Grammar I, French Grammar II, French Culture I, French Culture II, French Literature
Spanish I, Spanish II, Spanish Reading Comprehension, Spanish Grammar, Spanish Conversation, Spanish Culture
Chinese, Chinese I, Chinese II, Chinese Grammar, Chinese Reading Comprehension
Department of Social Studies
<Characteristics of Social Studies Class>
|Ethics||Ability to cultivate refinement as a citizen of the world|
|History||Ability to make critical and rational judgments|
|Politics||Ability to make rational decisions regarding social, political issues|
|Economics||Ability to understand economic phenomenon and make rational decisions|
|Geography||Ability to foster geological discernment|
To cultivate value thinking skills and judgment, Ethics aims to develop ethical and moral judgment, foster the will to act, establish independence as responsible Korean citizens, and nourish the refinement of international citizens adept at living in a global society.
Studies in history aim to cultivate the ability to make critical and rational judgment based on historical records, rather than simply memorizing historical facts. Lecture, presentation, debate, writing, and other methods are used in classes.
Aimed at cultivating democratic citizens and future leaders, the class focuses on making rational decisions about social/political issues in real life. Students concentrate on precedents and topics that would tie in political theories with real life, the academic and experimental aspects. The classes follow the school's 3-step education(teaching-discussion-writing).
Studies in economics aim to cultivate economic insight by properly understanding modern economic phenomenon through studies of various concepts and theories, so as to foster the discernment to critically apply economic theories to practical economic conditions. The classes focus on developing the ability to make rational judgments as consumers and producers by acquiring the knowledge needed for intelligent economic activities. Advanced courses on economic phenomenon are also offered. Teachings are focused on clear understanding of various concepts and theories, and cultivation of practical ability.
The objective of learning geography is to study spatial human activity: the space where activities take place, and human activities related to specified spaces are the major topics of the course. Geography courses seek to understand major concepts, organizations, and principles of geography. Focus is on spatial science, analysis and application of various graphing methods, use of charts, maps, photos, statistics and real matter, to quantitatively analyze and place the status quo. Classes focus on fostering geographical insight rather than studying specific facts separate from each other.
Department of Natural Science
<Characteristics of Science Class>
|Physics||classes mostly consisted of research activities, offers opportunity of in-depth and enriched studies|
|Biology||determinism, reductionism, continual principle of causation, establishment of new theories|
|Chemistry||condition, structure and changes of matter, scientific understandings and explanations of natural phenomenon|
|Earth Science||study of Earth environment and climate change and solutions, astronomy/atmospheric science/oceanography/geology|
|Computer Science||definition and characteristic of knowledge-based society, cultivation of basic computer application ability and programming|
1) Emphasis on understanding physical concepts and laws that exist within various phenomenon in the world
2) Reinforcement of these understandings through experiments and active debates, and application toward new phenomenon
3) (For scientific field students) Provide in-depth study opportunity (8hrs/week) for students talented in physics
4) Provide individual education to each student(about 10 in class) and encourage them to maximize their talents
5) Hold in-school competitions to make students become familiar with in-class knowledge and theories
- Physics class is always a consecutive 2 hours so students can conduct experiments
- After the lecture, students carry out experiments based on the lessons to build up more accurate knowledge, and are involved in
discussions to foster critical and creative thought
- To cultivate autonomous and creative learning ability, individual projects besides regular classes are encouraged. Through these
projects, students can display their expertise and creativity on their fields of interest. The project¡¯s level and period is discussed with guidance teachers.
Biology courses encourage students to actively research new phenomenon by providing a curriculum focused on inquiry. Students. Students must become familiar with a broad range of scientific concepts and laws, verified through experiments, practices and discussions. Students study scientific facts derived from various biological phenomenon in nature interpreted through mechanistic, deterministic, reductionist, and continual causative perspectives, and foster the capability to observe new natural phenomenon.
Chemistry courses cultivate the ability to scientifically understand and explain natural phenomenon, based on fundamental concepts about the state, structure and changes(chemical reactions) of matter, and the attitude and ability as a researcher to grow as an excellent scientist in the future.
04. Earth Science
Earth Science courses explain the Earth¡¯s environment and climate change in the perspective of Earth system science . Students develop skills to interpret the fundamental causes and suggest future coping plans. Major classes include astronomy, atmospheric science, marine science and geology. AP Environmental Science is an AP subject related to Earth Science.
05. Computer Science
Computer Science courses fosters the basic ability to understand the definition and characteristic of a knowledge-based society and appropriately utilize computers.
<Events and Work>
|Managing Competition Classes|
|Special lectures from outside specialists|
|Promotion of various competitions and supports|
|Minjok Festival : Hosting a conference for science research class students to present their research papers, Motor car race competition, Dropping eggs without breaking them, Creating motors|
Briefing sessions on Nobel prize achievements
Invited outside specialists explain the year¡¯s achievements which received the Nobel Prize in physics
Hosting of in-school competition
- Implemented as the preliminary of national competition
- those with superior grades are recommended to Gangwon-do competition
|Recommendations for out-of-school science competitions, invention competitions and Science Fair|
Hosting of Science Month Festival
- hosting in-school scientific invention competition
- writing science book reports
|Hosting of exploration contest(hiking contest accompanied by teachers) in spring and autumn|
Plans to visit science interagency
- national: KAIST, POSTECH, Seoul National University, Yonsei University, Korea University
- international: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Brown, Yale etc.
|Plans for special lectures by invited outside specialists|
Physics I, Advanced Physics, Physics Labs, AP Physics B W/Lab., Experimental Inquiry, Project study 1, AP Physics C-Electricity & Magnetism W/Lab., AP Physics C-Mechanics W/Lab., Electronic Science, Physics Project Study I and ¥±, Workshop, Research I, ID (Inquiry and Debate) Research, and High Level of Challenge Problems, Theoretical Mechanics, Introductory Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Wave Mechanics, Optics, Electromagnetics, Modern Physics, Quantum Mechanics
Chemistry, General Chemistry, Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Advanced Chemistry, Chemistry Experiment, AP Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemistry Research Seminar I. Chemistry Research Seminar II
Biology, Biology I, Biology ¥±, Advanced Biology, AP Biology w/ lab., Biology Experiment, General Biology, Era of Biology, Biology Project Study¥°, Biology Project Study ¥± , Practice of Basic Biological Science, Practice of Applied Biology, Practice on Biological Science, Subject Research(Biology), Cellular Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Developmental Biology, Physiology, Evolution, Microbiology, Biophysics, Sociobiology, Biotechnology, Environmental Science, AP Environmental Science
Earth Science Field;
Earth Science, Earth Science I, Earth Science II, Advanced Earth Science, Earth Science Experiments, Understanding the Universe, Study of the Universe, Stars and the Universe I, Stars and the Universe II, Paleoceanography, Isotope Geology, Paleontology
Computer Science Field;
Technology and Home Management, Computer Science, AP Computer Science
>Thanks to the devotion and the systematic teaching of our excellent teachers, students have received Korean Presidential prizes / scholarships, and have won gold medals in various International Olympiads (physics, chemistry, biology, math). Students also received a gold medal for Environmental Science in the Samsung Human Technology Thesis Competition. Many of our students have been accepted into top ranked schools in the fields of math and natural science. To contribute to the larger community of which KMLA is a part, the school has opened KSMP for middle school students in order to share our experience in raising future scientists. Gifted students in science are able to find their true talents and strengthen their skills. For students who have completed this course, teachers in KMLA shall continue to teach students and give them feedback by the school homepage.
KMLA had previously established 13 one week camps. However, this always resulted in students hoping for slightly longer camps. Therefore, we extended the period to 10 days starting from 2011 March, and incorporated ski camps during the winter, and beach camps during the summer.
Although it is difficult to list all, many students from these camps have graduated high school and are currently enrolled in Seoul, Yonsei, Korea University, as well as Illinois, Washington, Duke, Swarthmore, Cooper Union and Notre Dame University in the United States.
Department of Music Art & Physical education
|Music||Teach traditional and modern forms of Korean music.|
|Art||Inducing creative ideas|
|Physical education||Developing peak physical and mental abilities.|
01. MusicMusic Education fosters an awareness of Korean traditional culture and modern forms of music, while allowing students self expression and creativity. If we say music is the ¡°art of time,¡± we would also be able to say that time itself is art, for it changes the world as it flows. Does music with titles ¡°the art of time¡± or ¡°the art of the earth and the sky¡± actually exist? And if it does, which kind of music would fit such names. One form would be traditional Korean music. We actualize the identity of our people and express the Korean sentiment through traditional music.
1) Samulnori (Korean traditional percussion quartet)
2) Daechita (Korean traditional royal palace music)
3) Traditional lyrics
4) Learning traditional instruments : To learn the beauty of our ancestors' music, male students will learn one of the following instruments: Daegeum, Danso, Piri, and Taepyungso. Female students will learn Gayageum.
02. ArtArt class focuses on multimedia and digital animation. Our school¡¯s art class is mainly about learning graphic expressions in multimedia and digital animation. Classes include art history and creative projects.
03. Physical EducationOur school provides excellent gym facilities and PE experts for specialized physical education, including traditional Korean sports such as Taekwondo and Kendo. Through participation in various sports activities, students develop their mind and body and learn well-mannered sports conduct.
Students learn winter sports (such as skiing and snowboarding), swimming, archery, golf, kendo, basketball, dance, tennis, badminton, baseball, and softball. Every morning, students must participate in an exercise regimen, choosing between kendo, taekwondo, meditation, jogging, or gymnastics. Students must also learn basic first aid and undergo CPR training.
1) Schoolyard facilities : The schoolyard contains a 400m-long 8-lane urethane track that was approved by the Korean Athletic Sports Union. Inside the track is a grass-soccer field that meets official standards.
2) Indoor golf course : This facility has 17 boxes and can hold up to 51 students.
3) Korean archery field : This facility can hold up to 25 student and has 3 targets.
4) Gym : There are facilities for badminton, basketball, and volleyball in the gym and the basement contains the Taekwondo studio.
5) Tennis courts : Artificial grass terrain, a total of nine courts.
6) Baseball diamond : Artificial grass, to official standards.
7) Outdoor volleyball, basketball, futsal and foot volleyball field : Two fields for volleyball, three for basketball, two for futsal and two for foot volleyball are available.